Writer's Log #1


Captain's log, USS Enterprise, 2016


So today is the day (more like night) I start writing chapter nine of DoD. Up until now I've written +100 words (I wasn't home, so it didn't count as a writing day).

You ever get the feeling something's about to go wrong? That's how I feel about this chapter...




I've outlined the whole damn thing, every line of dialogue and every little movement, but I still feel like I'm going into this blind, you know?

It's not even a hard chapter, I swear! In my opinion, it's simple. Basically, it covers a lot of ground, character development, world building, relationships and all that good stuff. This is some of my favorite stuff to write and I still can't do it. I see it as a movie in my head and yet when I look at my computer everything just stops. Do you ever get that feeling? How do you deal with it?

The worst thing is that I can't wait to finish it. I wake up every day thinking about writing and yet I'm always putting off for no. Damn. REASON!!!

Procrastination and laziness aside, let me tell you more.



So in this chapter I introduce a new character and I have to make her kind and motherly, which I find hard. How do I write her without shoving her in the reader's face? Basically, I'm going to have to edit this sucker a bunch, but that's what first drafts are for, right?

I also feel super weird about the pacing. My two characters don't really trust each other but after my protagonist gets her head out of her ass she decides that this dude might be alright. In this chapter I want them to become closer but not too close that all of a sudden they're bestie.



Okay, I finally got hang of this! Just goes to show that hours and hours on Pinterest does indeed help writer's block. The action is finally happening and the dialogue is flowing normally.



Anyway, I need to get going. Writing this entry was another form of procrastination. Wish me luck.

Till next time,

M&M

You Might Also Like

0 comments